Keeping up to date with your annual racking inspections is so important, but what can you expect from a racking inspection service?
Racking inspections are a crucial part of health and safety in the workplace. They are carried out to ensure warehouse pallet racking is safe to use, highlighting any damages or problems with the racking which could – if not addressed properly – harm your employees or cause damage to goods.
You should be having an inspection of racking annually at the very least, depending on the size of your operation. If you’ve noticed some of your racking is damaged, you should book in an inspection as soon as possible to minimise the risk of accidents at work.
First of all, a detailed examination of the racking system will take place and any damage will be recorded by location using the SEMA traffic light system. (This system is used for recording risk by ensuring the easy prioritisation of remedial actions.)
The inspection typically looks at:
1) Beams, beam connectors, uprights, bracing members, locking pins, etc.
2) Footplates, securing bolts, column guards.
3) Condition of stored materials and pallets.
4) Floor condition.
6) Any other relevant factors relating to specific site conditions.
Once all of these areas have been inspected, a summary of damage by item will be compiled into a report and issued to you.
The racking inspection will also include:
1) Photographs where appropriate.
2) A review of current internal damage reporting and recording systems.
3) A review of the damage history with identification of repeat damage and recommended changes to be made (where possible).
4) Recommended changes to operating patterns or training if appropriate.
5) Issue of immediate ‘Red Risk’ notices during the inspection visit where a seriously damaged equipment is seen. This form of damage requires immediate action.
Why choose Dalvie for your inspection?
All of our inspectors are fully independent and SARI approved (this means they are SEMA-approved rack inspectors).
Whether you use double deep pallet racking, drive in pallet ranking, or any other type of pallet racking, we will walk you through the whole process, guide you through any remedial work and if required provide you with a quotation for us to complete this work. Discover more about our racking repair service here.